Saturday, May 3, 2014

Eking

Managed to eke out a small win on Friday, $85 for 5th place, less $40 buy-in, less $5. dealer tip, for a $40 net win.  I was hoping for lots more as I need to build up my poker bankroll for Las Vegas next week.  No notable hands, lost about 1/4 of my chips early with a failed flush chase, then doubled up nicely against a player insisting on calling my preflop raise with my AJ, betting the jack high flop, and shoving on the river.  He had pocket 2's.  Really, what was he thinking?  Stone cold bluff?  He was eliminated shortly afterwards after recovering some of his chips (he had me covered) on another horrible call.

Down to 10 players, I was sitting on 7 big blinds and looking to make a push.  The table composition and my cards shut me off completely, as two players who acted before me kept pushing....I had suited aces 3 times against their raises, but no kicker, so folded.  Your really can't be doing any calling in those situations as you need to be first in the pot.

The final table was dealt by a rookie dealer who continually made mistakes and was frankly pretty sloppy in his card shuffling, cutting, mucking, figuring side pots, etc.  It was nice to see someone less competent than me in the chair.  He came alive on the final table, going all-in 3 hands in a row with everyone folding.  Blinds were 500/1000 so he was not picking up chump change.  He met his waterloo by raising preflop with KQ offsuite, and being raised my the chip leader who had KK.  His aggression on the flop did him in as the only card that could show up to slow the action was an ace.

I was very frustrated to get nothing but junk cards, and just folded my way into the money.  My final hand was against a poker rookie who had to be told everything....no, that is a string raise.....no, you need to raise twice the big blind, etc.  He knocked a buddy out who shoved with QQ by calling with A/6 offsuite.  Naturally, he caught his ace.  I was down to 2 big blinds, had not seen an ace, so when he raised to 5,000 (blinds at 1/2000) under the gun, I was next to act and called with AJ suited.  It really pained me to call as his range had me in trouble, but with my stack size figured they were all in the next 2 hands anyway.  He had AQ and he hit his queen on the flop.  The turn gave me hope with a king....and a couple of players had been eliminated earlier when broadway draws appeared, but I did not get that lucky.

My best hand was 9/7 offsuite in the unraised small blind with one limper.  I limped, flopped a straight on an 8/10/J flop and eliminated a player with J/10 and also got a flush draw's money in the pot.  Life can be good sometimes.   

No comments: