Saturday, May 10, 2014

Dumb, Dumber & Dumbest...Me!!!!


So, let me begin by saying I have been sleeping poorly, going to bed late and waking early.  Driving to Richland yesterday to play in the deepstack that I usually crush, had the distinct feeling that I should drive back to the house and go to bed.  Should have listened to that inner voice, as I was heading back there soon enough.

Winning a couple of hands and losing a couple at the first blind level, I was slightly over starting chip stack of 10K.  Getting pocket kings 2 under the gun with a limper, I raised to $350 at 2nd blind level.  With multiple callers and out of position I was happy to see the flop...J/8/5 with 2 clubs.  This is a flop that is good news for kings as it is possible to get action while having probably the best hand.  I bet out $800 and was raised to $2100 by "Al" in middle position.  His raise was called by the big blind and I immediately put Al on AJ and the other player on a flush draw.  That would make sense, so I called.

The turn was a queen, and I checked.  Al bet another 2100.  He was getting short of chips having lost a couple of hands and it made sense to me that he would not pot committ but still want to protect his hand.  The other player called (loose call???), so I called too as the pot now was over 11,000.

The river brought another queen, which I thought was a great card for me as it would counterfeit and random 2 pair hands that had snuck in, and did not stand to improve anyone's hand.  WRONG!!!  This is where I got dumb and dumber.  Al shoves, the other player shoves, and I shove, believing that I had both players covered.  Definitely should have slowed down, asked for chip counts and thought for a few minutes.

We turn over our hands:  AL has J/J for a full house, the other player has Q/10 for a gutshot straight draw that turned into trips by runner/runner.  The other player has me covered and I am the first player out of the tournament.  Like I say, dumb, dumber, and dumbest.


1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I thought about this hand some more after we chatted. I think you should have re-raised Al's first 2100. This might have gotten the stupid gut shot to fold and Al might have just moved all-in. You would still have had chips. Oh well. We've all done this. I got dumb, dumber and dumbest with AA yesterday. Gak!