Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Non Poker Blog

Just to head in a little different direction, I want to talk a bit about self defense.  Recently, the very nice 69 year old concierge at my daughter's condo in Belltown was nearly killed by a rampaging gang of young punks.  He has been in critical condition and undergone a couple of surgeries.  this happened at midnight one block from the condo.  My son-in-law, a very peaceable man is researching guns and concealed weapons permits as am I.  The other daughter has cautioned that if I buy a handgun the grandkids may not be permitted to visit.  While searching crime statistics in her NE Portland neighborhood I was shocked at the number of crimes, both property and personal that have happened in a 1/2 mile radius.  Unbelievable.

Anyway, there is another more violent crime I am aware of against a friend that would not have been prevented by a gun due to the location, but bottom line I am thinking with riots world wide and crime all over it is best to be prudent.  My son in law challenged me regarding the rarity of violent crimes and I had to recount the number of times a knife had been pulled on me.  Five times.  And yes, some were "wrong place" but others were not. 


In lieu of a gun am thinking of other self-defense weapons.  The clear advantage of this is availability, price, convenience, no permit, and ability to carry anywhere short of on the airplane, courthouse, etc.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Wow, that's scary. I'm glad your daughter (and son-in-law) were not involved in the condo incident. I can't believe you've had a knife pulled on you five times. Good God. Your percentage of survival is awesome, thank goodness. I don't know what I'd do if that happened to me. This is seriously something to think about, but I definitely will not have a gun in my house. My late husband had over 15 at the time of his death. He only went to the shooting range with them, but still . . . I'm sick of guns. Maybe a nice umbrella with some kind of nasty concealed blade . . . hmmmm! I worry about you going to India too. Not the safest place on the planet.