Thursday, August 11, 2011

Big Hand-Good Timing

Last night was rough in some ways.  I get aces cracked (Frosty) by 5/8 offsuit.  Frosty hits quad queens when he actually pays a guy $1 to call his big blind (he had mucked his hand).  More about that in a moment.  Later I crack Frosty's aces with Q/10 and do not hear the end of the whining for maybe 45 minutes.  Really?  An ATC player whining about my cheese?

Anyway, I am down about $150 when this hand comes up.  I am in late position with QQ and raise to $15.  Bob Petty, in the big blind, reraises to $35.  Now, I know Bob and respect his play, so I instantly know that I am looking at aces or kings as these are the only two hands he would re-raise with, out of position.  I just call to see the flop.  Beautiful, sort of.....K/Q/10.  Bob checks and I bet, hoping that he has aces, but then he raises so I know the range is narrowed to KK or AJ suited only (I don't think he has JJ).  I call, fearing the worst.  The turn is really ugly, an ace, so when he bets now I am 100% convinced that he is "set over set" ahead of me.  I call anyway due to the size of the pot, hoping for my 5 outer (a jack to chop or queen to win).  The river?  Case queen.  Bob bets, I raise, he calls with KK.  Nice hand.  And I win the $100 backup monte (here is where I feel a little screwed because of Frost's earlier claim on the $256 quad queens), but hey a win is a win.

Finish with a break even day, but lots of hour accumulation towards the freeroll. 

Update from this morning, playing in the tournament I place 3rd for a $100 win.  Had a chance to beat the chip leader with my all in A/6 vs. J/7, but he spiked a 7.  Would have been the leader with that pot.  Played exceptionally tight, not playing a single hand until 100/200 blind level and then open shoving.  Think I played a total of maybe 10-12 hands the entire tournament and only one call from small blind with A/A heads up, the rest shoves.  My shoves incidentally got folds nearly every time as I commented on the lack of hands that I had played ("This is the first hand I have played", etc.) and people gave me more credit than I deserved (Q/J, K/10, KQ).  So, I was able to continue as I did not have to show any hands.  This is the way to play those tournaments, I believe.     

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

That is too bad that Frosty took the larger monte with the quads, but you got a nice pot plus $100 so that's not too terrible. Maybe I should get you some cheese to go with that whine - LOL. Hope to see you tomorrow (or Sunday at the Stark tournament).