Saturday, August 6, 2011

Here Is a Play I Don't Understand

I am dealing last night at the American Legion, playing very tight, won one pot early.  The table is weird and very beatable.  Massive bluffs for almost all their chips from 4 different players.  I want their action.  Finally, with blinds at 100/200, I am under the gun with 8/8 and a 2100 chip stack.  I thought briefly of shoving, but decided to "just" raise to 600, three times the BB and less than 1/3 my stack.  A player two to my left who had donked off his chips once and made a comeback announced "all in" for a total of 2000.  With everyone folding to me, the pot now at 100 + 200 + 600 + 2000, for a total of 2900 I decided to call for all but one 100 chip, getting 2900/1400, or around 2/1 on my money figuring it for an either way behind or coin flip and facing both blinds the next two hands with only 7.5 BB's remaining.  I am thinking at this point that a shove preflop may have been the better option, but winning 300 while risking 2100 didn't sound attractive.

The player turns over.......KQ offsuit!  What a donK!!!!  Any thinking player would never reraise all in agains an UTG raiser with that hand.  There is literally no hand that I  or any halfway decent player would raise with UTG that KQ offsuit would beat.  So, you know "the rest of the story", he flops a king, turns a queen, and hits a straight on the river for good measure.  I am gone (but still have to sit there and fume and deal until my next to last table breaks down) and the donk goes on to chop first 3 ways.  The bright spot in my story, made $30 in tips for dealing so my poker night ended up costing me only $10.

One of the other choppers on the final table, my friend Mike, got super lucky against one of the big stacks twice.  He shoved with small pairs both times, 4's and 6's I believe, against the big aces and won both coin tosses.

Another lucky player was Robert who was down to $40 in chips early and came back to cash in 5th or 6th place.  He shoved with aces and kings winning both multiway pots and then again with AK which ended up filling up for high hand money as well, worth $66.  


 
s

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I think you said it all when you said "no thinking player" would do what he did. Obviously, he is not a player who thinks. Phooey. At least you made a little money! :)