Monday, February 1, 2010

Soft Play "Friends"?

Often at the table I see friends soft playing each other. One will have the absolute nuts and just check it down, not wanting to take their friend's money. If more people are in the hand, it is a different matter. Saturday night I was in a similar situation. Playing an A/10 I flopped the ace and bet out into a small crowd. Everyone folded except my "friend". I then checked to her, and she checked back. At some point, either flop or turn, she picked up a straight flush draw which came in on the river. I checked my made straight on the river, figuring that I had probably won and was surprised when she bet the maximum into me. I called (an obvious mistake given the flush possibility, bigger straight possibility, and obvious chop possibility) to see the straight flush. She won not only $250 for the monte carlo, but also another $250 for high hand. My question is: why the bet into me with a locked $250 & probable $500 locked in? Comment????

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I think I mentioned at the time that I was simply "excited" and did not really think about it. Phil, I'm sorry if this upset you. One of my pet peeves, however, is soft playing and I think this is probably why I was sort of on auto-mode as it were. Daniel Negreanu says that playing soft against your friends or anyone else is a form of cheating and I have to agree with him. Nonetheless I did feel stupid in the hadn we were involved in after the fact and I do apologize. I just didn't think about it at the time. I will make it up to you.