Monday, February 1, 2010

Knocked out of Two Tournaments

Sunday was the pits for me. I got knocked out of the deepstack Moose $115 tournament with my pocket aces cracked by pocket 4's. I raised 3x BB preflop, he called. Flop was queen high, uncoordinated with a diamond flush draw and of course the 4. I bet $600 into the $750 pot and he called..one other caller folded. Turn card put a 10 on board, forming a possible straight draw with KJ, another hand I put in his range of calling. What I thought he had was AQ, or a flush draw. I decided to bet $2000 to discourage a flush draw. I was a little surprised when he came over the top all-in. I thought for 10 seconds (not long enough) and called. What was stupid was not just folding and keeping about 6000 in chips. It is usually not a good idea to call an allin with just one pair. I should have given him credit for a larger range, including Q10 or a flopped set.

I was scheduled for a big Sunday online tournament ($5000 prize pool, 3000 or so players) at 1:00, so I had plenty of time. 5 hours later, I was still in the tournament in good shape to cash. 170 players would be paid and there were about 500 of us left with me in the top 25%. I picked up pocket aces in the cutoff position and the hijack who has me well covered raised a couple of thousand with 3 limpers. I immediately went all-in for another 7000 or so to isolate him. Everyone folded to him and he called to show....pocket jacks. Great, except for the jack high flop. Dang...two aces cracked stories in one day!

My weekend was a disaster, around 300 in losses including my buyin. I more than made up for it today in the cash game however hitting a straight flush wheel for a $450 win, less 85 game loss plus 25 tournament loss. Break even poker at its best.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Well, at least you had the best hand both times! I hope you're not mad at me for that straight flush fiasco. I'm still feeling bad about that. I was glad to see that you got a straight flush wheel. Good job!