Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Lucky Electrical Storm

Sometimes just plain old dumb luck trumps any possible skills. Such was my situation on a 45 person SNG tournament. I had done alright, getting to the final table, but was desperately shortstacked. Then the dumb luck starting happening with big stacks colliding, then multiple players going all in with the biggest stack winning and knocking them out. It finally got down to 4 of us and miraculously with me having about 1 1/2 blinds, a three way all-in with the big stack winning. I was heads up with about 2,000 in chips vs. over 50000 and virtually no chance. Then the real luck happened. I called a big blind and he folded. Hmmm. Then an autofold when he posted his small blind. Hmmmm. Looks like someone is offline or sitting out. I then proceeded to play as fast as possible, collecting blinds and antes for several minutes. Finally he reappears and comments that they were having an electrical storm and he had lost power. I was then back in the game with over 20,000 in chips!!! After a few back and forth wins I flopped a monster and put him on the shorts stack. One hand later he overplayed top pair and was gone. Winner, winner chicken dinner! With the win my online bankroll is now the largest it has ever been. I am starting to play higher buyin tourneys and doing pretty well in them. I cashed in a "Sniper" tournament with about 500 players, collecting a lot of bounties along the way. Cash games are a little drag on my bankroll with the Omaha the worst. Today I had a huge stack in a pot limit game and got all-in three way with my pocket aces, only to get cracked by 9/10 offsuit when he rivered trips. Ouchy!!! If he had not been a shorter stack, I would have been "felted", but he had less than the other player who I beat with his K/10 offsuit. It is unbelievable the trash hands people are willing to put all their chips in pre-flop.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

That is so funny! I'm glad you came out on top. Do you mind me asking the buy-in amounts of the tournaments you enter online? I'm just curious because I might actually get a home computer someday - ha! Your story reminded me of one that Max told me. He had returned from some business trip and started to play online, but he was really super tired from his trip and ended up falling asleep. When he woke up, he had blinded himself right onto the final table and actually made money. Too funny.