Sunday, May 17, 2009

Getting to The Finals

I have been really pretty sick this week. I have a bad cough and just feeling run down. Finally went to the doctor's on Wednesday and got some antibiotics and cough medicine. I am feeling about 90% today, which is a big improvement. I played a couple of times this week, but my heart just wasn't in the game...lost a little won a little, broke even. I have been very hot online, cashing in 14 of the last 20 tournaments I have played. Saturday was my flight for the big $10000 added tournament and I felt o.k., not great, just o.k. I warmed up with three sitngo's, winning one, and cashing in another. My flight was not a particularly tough one, but all of them are challenging in one way or another. I got some very good hands (pocket kings 5 times, and pocket aces once), but other than one big pot won mostly blinds with them. You know how sometimes one player just owns you? Bonnie was my personal nemesis. If I raised, she called. If I limped, she was in the pot, and always seemed to outdo my cards. I probably lost over 15,000 in chips to her over the course of the tournament. I did mention that I had pocket kings 5 times, my big hand with her was my big big blind vs. her small blind on the final table. She limped in, I raised all-in and she called me with A/10 offsuit. I really feared the worse with my past luck against her, and kings being ace magnets and all, but they held up and I knocked her out. There were two other memorable hands, I had about 30,000 in chips, looking to coast to final 5 with 6 players left. Kevin escaped an all-in as short stack, then that honor went to Nam. He pushed with KJ and I quickly called with AQ. The flop no help, same with turn, then a jack on the river doubled him up. I became the short stack and went all-in twice with no callers, picking up the 9000 in blinds and got back in the game. Kevin finally pushed with pocket 2's, and I again called with AQ. Flop kk7, turn 4, river 7, two pair with an Ace kicker! Our flight was over and I was chip leader with 50,000 to carry over to the finals today!!! Because I wanted to go to Portland on Sunday to help my daughter with "Pugcrawl" sales of her t-shirts (see them online @ http://www.saybone.com/), if I had made the finals with insignificant chips I was planning to forfeit...so good and bad.....

2 comments:

B said...

Hi Phil,

finally had a chance to look up the blog.....well done.

Great to hear you made the finals.

Good luck.....

By the time you see this it will likely be over...but gl all the same.
See you next time you are in town.

Bryan

7 Dewey said...

I was very happy to see your name on the board as one of the two chip leaders for the finals. I was playing the Sunday 10:00 tournament. I over-played my aces (maybe), got short stacked and basically lost heart. Oh, well. I hope you won it all and can't wait to see your blog about the finals.