Saturday, May 23, 2009

Losing Coin Flips

Friday night at the American Legion I drew a very tough table. There was one totally clueless old guy, three calling stations, a great internet player, 2 more tough internet players, a perennial luckbox, and one rock plus me. I was totally, completely card dead, with only one small pair which failed to connect. Mostly what was dealt was cards like 8/2 offsuit. Everyone at the table took turns winning giant pots (the first pot was sort of an indication of what was coming, with an internet guy limping in under the gun with 2/3 suited and making a straight on the turn). Finally I pick up pocket 9's in late position, raise to $300 (I think the blinds were 40/80), and immediately have the big blind...the very good internet player....come over the top of me all in for about 700 more. He had doubled up once, then lost it all back to a full house over his nut flush. I called to see the classic race AQ vs. my underpair. The flop...sick...K, J, 10...I am drawing almost dead. The river even brought a 9, but his flopped straight held. I am now the short stack at the table, and after seeing two hands in a row that I would have won but folded my garbage, I go all-in with QJ. With two players (both blinds) checking down and a jack on the river thought I was good to go another hand or two, but no, the slowrolling flush wins. I have just been super unlucky with my coin flips lately, going out 4th in a 45 person SNG after losing 3 in a row. Hopefully my luck will change soon.

No comments: