Sunday, April 26, 2009

You Can Go Home Again

This week has been an interesting one for me. First of all, no poker. Helene & I flew into Dallas on Wednesday and spent the night at my brother's house, meeting up with my mom and sister there. The next night we visited my cousin and his family, then Friday mom, Kathy, Doug and I drove to Liberty, Missouri, my home town. It had been 30 years since Mom had been back, and twenty for Kathy. Doug has been back within 5 years, and I was here 12 years ago. The town has changed a lot, sprawling out with lots of big box stores, new home developments, etc. Really, just an urban sprawl thing for Kansas City. The core of the town has remained delightfully unchanged with lots of the old Victorian houses looking like the did 50 years ago. We were able to revisit all of our old homes, including Mom's in surrounding towns of Richmond and Rayville (which is just a wide spot on the map) population 204. The property values here are something I have not seen for a long time, with really nice houses in the low $100's, or if you wanted to spurge and buy a really cool old house, maybe $300. A similar house in Portland would run you a cool million in Alameda.

Last night I dropped in on Ann, our old next door neighbor who was hosting a bridge club meeting with lots of kids I went to school with. It was fun catching up with them and discussing our "old age" and ailments. A few are retired, but several still working for now. Today we see a bunch more relatives then back to Texas tomorrow. Doug & I are road tripping, while the ladies fly back to Phoenix. It has been fun.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I'm glad you had such a great time on your trip. It's always fun to see the old places. For me, the old places are still here, as I grew up in the Fried Cities. The changes are still amazing though. Hope to see you this weekend!