Sunday, April 5, 2009

Has the Nightmare Ended?

This week has been tough for me. The cash games have roughed me up every time and despite making the final table on nearly every tournament I have entered, have not cashed until today. Yesterday's tournament at Joker's was particularly brutal, going all in with A6 suited in the cutoff in a blind stealing attempt only to run into pocket aces just like my last two hands at the same tournament a month ago.

The 10 a.m. Sunday Moose tournament is one of my favorites, with 5000 chips, 20 min. blinds and a $5 cash bounty. We had about 30 players and I was very card dead the entire tournament. The biggest pair I ever got was pocket Jacks, and I had pocket 8's 4 times. Needless to say, I struggled to make the final table as the short stack, with only enough chips (1500) to make about one round. I got very lucky deciding to go all in with 4 other players in a pot (went for the volume) including one other all-in. I chose that hand with a queen/eight suited as I have personally been busted by that combination a couple of times. I flopped top pair and turned the flush and was back in the game. I tried to stay out of trouble and successfully bluffed a very cautious player when we were in the blinds and the board paired. I went all-in, he laid down the winning hand, saying "I hope you had the trip queens". I showed him my small suited connectors and he went a little on tilt. I showed them mostly for the benefit of the other regulars at the table to send them the message that I was willing to bluff with all my chips and not just wait for great hands. I did make one big goof-up when I thought someone had just bet and I came over the top all-in with a suited 3/5. Turns out he had thrown all his chips in, not just bet. Ooops. I wish that had a happy ending, he had pushed weak with an 8/9 diamonds. I ended up making a straight, but he made a flush. I have to slow down and make sure where I am on the hand when putting all my chips in. I would normally have folded that hand without a thought unless in the blind for not many more chips, or shortstacked. We ended the tournament early when 3rd place was eliminated and the chip leader...by about 3 to 1 margin, generously offered to give me 2nd place plus another $100. I quickly accepted and earned a total of $455 including 3 bounties. Hooray!

One other note. Played in a freeroll online for a seat in the Saturday $1000 game (top 30). I had to leave to catch a 4:00 movie and turned my seat over to my buddy Ron with 900 players remaining and me in 218th place. I completely forgot about it until Ron called after the movie and told me he was in 18th place with 58 left. I drove to the office to watch him win my seat in 24th place. Way to go Ronster!!!

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Good job, sir! I know what you mean about paying attention - that has screwed me up a couple of times as well. I'm glad it wasn't deadly!