Saturday, January 24, 2009

On Tilt- Big Time

This has not happened to me for a long, long time. I went into total complete tilt mode at the American Legion last night. I really thought that with the many tournaments that I play and the awful beats that happen to me made me immune, but that is not so. It began simply enough with my seat selection, table 1 seat 7. There were 3 complete novices at the table, 2 or 3 good players (not counting me), one drunk, and a couple of clueless regulars. In other words, a toxic mix. It began with the drunk raising every hand, chasing and catching up. I did not have a playable hand but watched with envy as the beginners donked off their chips to him. He finally slowed down and another player began catching everything, taking the chips off the drunk. In the meantime one of the novices kept backing into the best hand, always calling, never betting. Finally I pick up A10 and the dealer raises. I call to see a A/5/7 flop. He bets, I raise to find out where I am, the novice folds, and the dealer flat calls. The turn brings a 9, I bet dealer calls. The river another 9, dealer checks, I bet smallish and he check raises big. I ponder, then fold my ace face up, saying "your ace king is good". He flips over pocket 5's for a flopped set. Good fold, but am starting to curse my luck with him hitting his 2 outer. Almost the next hand I limp in with a 9/7 suited. The flop comes with a 6/8/J for the open ender. Check, Bet by me, and the novice to my left calls. Turn 9, I bet again, maybe 30% of pot, and he again calls. River blank, I check, he checks, I say, "9's and a missed straight", he turns over....pocket 10's. I can tell you in all honesty that had I gone all in on the river he would have called, despite my constant bets and the jack on the board. The reason I can say this is that after that hand, I am rolling my eyes and putting an imaginary gun to my head for the amusement of Ross at the other end of the table, who is doing the same kind of gestures. Ross is a thoughtful good player who has won the tournament many many times, including back to back wins this fall. I am genuinely disgusted at my hands, the weak but successful play of the rookies, my rotten luck, and the whole table in general. I make a gesture to Ross that I am going all in the next hand, he says "good luck all in", even tho the hand has not been dealt. I have A4 of spades, Ross is on the button, and I don't go allin , I just raise about 250. The rookie to my left calls as does Ross. The flop is 10 high, Ross checks and I go all in for about 700 more. The Rookie calls, Ross folds KQ face up, and the Rookie shows....AK!!!! I am drawing to a backdoor flush or a 4 which naturally don't come. I am very relieved to be the first one out of the tournament and head home!!!

No comments: