Monday, February 3, 2020

Subbing

When my wife substitute teaches it is poker time for me.  So, with 2 subs lined up this week, game on.  Except felt lousy Monday so no go.  Tuesday played for 3 hours with an $85. win.  Great.  Then another sub called for Wednesday.  Awesome.  But granddaughter sick, I am the caregiver.  Oh well.  So as a make up I play today.  Good luck prevails, I crush the game and win $274 in 4 hours, wisely leaving at the end of my heater.

I enjoyed sitting next to a guy that I have been next to several times before.  We talk some poker, share hands that the other isn't in and commiserate on the many bad beats.  Trust me, there are many in Omaha.  I won a big pot today where he claimed 30 outs with 2 flush draws,  straight draws and nut low draw.  Probably caught the only card in the deck that wouldn't help him.  But that is the nature of the beast.

My most frustrating hand came on Tuesday when the button on my immediate right uncharacteristically for him raised preflop.  He is a super tight regular who always shows the nuts on the river, so I immediately knew he had AA23, probably double suited.  I threw away my small blind of Q986 double suited, a hand I will always complete with for $2.  The half hour high hand was in play for $50, and with 2 callers the flop came out QQQ.  Check to raiser, bet, folds, high hand QQQAA.  Double shit.  As luck would have it, didn't hold up, but my quads sure would have.

A quick observation.  It is weird how 2nd nut flushes and 2nd nut lows often lose, while bad flushes and ragged lows win fairly often.  I make a real effort to only chase the nuts but sometimes you get sucked in by sheer pot odds.  My experience tells me that it is usually better to pay off a river bet and lose $8 rather than forfeit an entire pot.  The key is correctly guessing whether the bettor is going high or low, even then it his pot luck and you can often be tricked by the player betting draws.

No comments: