Saturday, May 18, 2019

What Would You Do?

Playing the morning $40 tournament I have increased my starting stack by 50% early.  A bluffy aggressive player has about the same chip stack.  He raises under the gun , another player calls, I call from the button with K/J suited ( hearts).  The flop comes out king high with 2 clubs.  Player bets 900 into 1800 pot, other player folds.  It is my action, what should I Do?
A. Fold as he is representing a big king or continuation betting with a pair.
B. Call to see the action on the turn in position.
C. Raise to make him fold or define his hand.

Let me know what you would do, answers later.

Yesterday,  morning tournament, early on,, I have starting 4000 stack.  I pick up 10/J is spades under the gun, I raise the 100 blind to $225  and get 3 callers including a short stack and a good player who has just been moved to our table who is on the button.  The flop comes out J/10/x, all hearts.  I bet 600, short calls, a big stack folds, button raises to 1200.  What do I Do?

A. Fold, my top 2 pair is a big dog (17% to make full house by river) against a flopped flush and slightly ahead of a 4 flush with straight concerns.
B.  Call the bigger stack and reevaluate if smallstack shoves or if he calls fold to a heart or straight card on the turn
C.  Raise to get straight and flush draws to fold as well as A/J.  Pot is 3400 and raise minimum 1200, putting half my stack in the pot.

What would you do.  Answer after I get at least one response.

4 comments:

Donald said...

C. raise

B. Call

7 Dewey said...

On the first hand I would raise. You have enough chips. The problem is - what do you do if he only calls your raise? Is he trapping by only raising? It could get icky later. I will still raise.

On the second hand I would fold, but that's only because the darned flopped flushes have been beating me up lately.

Interested to know what you did. I have a question for you. In the Saturday tournament I had 8 blinds left and ended up getting QQ. Lonnie (who plays very aggressively) had a huge stack - probably 100 blinds. I don't blame him for calling my all-in shove but I was a little irritated that he called what I consider light - A9. Naturally, he hit a 9 on the flop and another on the river.

Would you have called with A9 in his position?

Phil said...

Answers
1st hand I raised, aggressive bluffs shoved similar stack. I tanked, considered his range and folded saying, " I think I've got you now, but I don't have a back up plan. He shows A/Q of clubs for the nut flush and over-cards draw. Later I shove with suited connectors, he knocks me out with A/Q of same suit.

2nd hand, I re-raise all in with the thought that a call leaves me folding to a bet if I don't fill up, and the other short stack probably calls with draws. I thought that a flopped flush would just call here and he probably had a good 4 flush draw or possibly A/J raising for information or thinking top/top was best hand. Both players call. Shorty has A/K with ace of hearts, so he has nut flush draw plus gutshot Broadway draws. Button tables K/2 of hearts for flopped 2nd nut flush. I am drawing to 4 outs, short is drawing to 7. We both miss and are knocked out.

In retrospect, don't know if I play much different next time though I do think just calling on flush flop has some merit as I fold to big turn action if I miss my full house draw. It amazes me that people play so bad calling early raises with suited garbage and not re-raising my UTG raise with A/K and a short stack. If he repops it, the K/2 probably folds as I do too. Herein lie the perils of the turbo where there is much bad play.

Dewey, I would never call a shove with A/9 but Lonnie is a donk with a big stack. Pays to be lucky. That said, a better play, imho, would be a standard raise, then shove after the flop....but since he caught a pair, probably same outcome. All in raises with that many blinds nearly always represents small, medium pair or A/K, A/Q. Your 3rd largest pair will get calls from good aces and sometimes suited aces if opponent has a deep stack. Like I said, Turbos are donkfests.

7 Dewey said...

Yeah, I thought about simply raising and then shoving, but in the back of my mind I just knew it wouldn't affect Lonnie's decision. I got it in with the best of it. That's all I can hope for.