Friday, May 31, 2019

3 peat and Tournament Tip

First  crazy 3 hands in a row yesterday in Omaha.   While you often see big hands in the game due to the many 4 card combinations, this was something I have not seen before.  The player in the 1 seat flopped quad 7's.  This hand normally would stand up for the half hour high hand.  Many full houses had won earlier, including 2's full of 4's and my aces full of 8's (yay!!!).  So, the very next hand, he is knocked off with turned quad jacks by Rudy in seat 4.  Sorry Terry.  Next hand dealt, Victor in seat 3 wins with a queen high straight flush.  Sorry Rudy.  Either of the quads would have won any other half hour except maybe one.  Weird.

My tournament trick of the day was one I picked up from a regular.  I watched him do it, then did it to him.  Playing a short stack in the Wednesday bounty tournament he bet all but one chip.  This was brilliant as it forced the later players to either call or double his bet for a raise, putting more pressure on them as players to act afterwards could re raise or be priced in on a call.  Also, just calling left him with a chip and a chair on a really bad flop though you might say he was pot committed.

As a short stack myself, I did the same with 8/8 and who should call?  Why, my mentor of course.  The flop came out small with 3 spades, he bet enough to put me all in.  I called with my 8 of spades and he showed red jacks.  I failed to find a spade and was eliminated a few spots from the final table but happy to learn a valuable trick. 

No comments: