Friday, November 2, 2018

Don't Tap on the Aquarium Glass

Before I opine on the main topic, an update on recent play.  Can sum it up with "small wins".  Made two final tables this week for a profit of $20 on one, $30 on the other.  Also a 3/6 cash win of $10.  Best day was yesterday with a $120 buy in for Omaha, cash out 8 hours later for $277. Highlight was playing on the table next to Rep Porter, big time pro.  He was in the massive pot limit omaha game with a few thousand in front of him.  I asked my friend Paul, the tournament director if he could arrange a heads up match for us, $400/800 limit.  Ha ha.



So, despite my win yesterday it was a miserable game due to my seat next to a retired dealer.  He was always somewhat of a curmudgeon when dealing, and is now insufferable as a player.  He commented almost nonstop on my play to the point I put on headphones.  He was seated on my immediate right and also was very aggressive.  The thing was, I was playing super tight and nearly always had a good hand to call his raise.  I won pot after big pot from him.  While I was stacking chips, he was rebuying, into the game at least $400.

So, to my topic, "Don't Tap on the Aquarium glass". I read this years ago in  Mike Caro book.  He keeps it light and friendly so people don't resent losing to you.  He pointed out that when you criticize a player, or point out his mistakes, he begins to play better!!  You certainly don't want that.  I try not to target obnoxious players cause I have found that it usually backfires.  It is best to focus on good poker decisions and let karma do her work.  So, the lesson for Mr. Obnoxious is, don't tap on the glass, it disturbs the fish.  But, the thing is, I will never tell him this, cause, you know, don't want him to improve his game.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

That is such good advice. It's why I never tell Donna anything about how to play. She's so bad you want her at your table all the time. The same could be said for someone like Evan too. I find him to be obnoxious simply because he's kind of sour and grumpy most of the time. And he's so tight you always know what he has when he raises, but why tell him? I like winning against him.

I took 35th ($300 profit) in the first Pendleton tournament and used the funds to play Saturday (no cash) and 4-8 for a long time. It was fun.

Hope you do well if you play the Seniors!