Friday, October 26, 2018

Tournament Blues and sub-minimum wages

Not running well in tournaments lately, and cash games not much better.  Yesterday played 60 player turbo and finished in around 30th place.  I then lost a seat in omaha game and waited 2 hours to get in.  3 hours later cashed out for $11 profit.  Woo hoo.  Got stuck early about $150, so was happy to finish up, but still a bad day.  I did validate my $20 free tournament entry by plaing 2 hours so have that going for me.

Watching the play yesterday was struck by how bad people play this game.  For me the rules are simple:
1.  Don't play unless your hand can scoop the whole pot.  That means you need a strong low.  An exception is a very strong high only hand and pray for no or only one 8 or lower on the flop.
2.  Always have a back up plan.  If you have a straight it is helpful to have a draw to a flush or higher straight.  If you have a low draw it is good to have counterfeit protection.
3.  Don't jam with the nut low if only 3 players.  This is quartering protection.  I got involved with an idiot yesterday on this.  Just costs you.
4.  Avoid drawing to or betting non nut hands.  Sometimes works out, but not usually.  Took 2 pots yesterday with the dumb end of a straight and with a super weak flush.  Really a pretty rare thing.
5.  Avoid really active pots with bottom 2 pair.  There is nearly always a set out there.

Had two really bad hands against the same player yesterday.  The first was plaing K/K on a K/x/x board (Think there were 2 low cards on the flop).  The villain calls, with low draw.  Turn is a 4.  Bet, villain calls.  River is another 4, bet, villain raises my nut full house.  I call.  Runner runner quad 4s.

Later, same guy, I bet flush draw all the way, hitting 2nd nut flush on the river.  I bet, he raises (there is a low).  Call., he has a "steel wheel", 5 high straight flush.  Jeesh.  This guy owns me. Note broken rule, betting non nut draw.

No comments: