Saturday, October 20, 2018

Mistakes, What Would You Do?

First, my apologies to loyal followers of my blog.  It is not that I have not been playing poker that I have failed to post, but probably playing too much and other activities (will write about these soon).  I really feel my tournament play is sub par, maybe because playing more cash? Age?  Senility?  So a couple of examples from recent games and ask what you would do.

Playing a $40 morning tournament, I am chip leader early, snapping pocket aces with pocket 4's on a 4/6/6 flop.  The regular good player on my immediate right raises.  I generally respect his game but he sometimes raises a little light with suited connectors or two face cards.  I have pocket 8's.  I call as does a loose aggressive player in the blinds.  I have both covered.  The flop comes K/J/10, all hearts.  I have the 8 of hearts.  Loose bets big, other player calls.  I consider and fold.  They get them all in on the turn, river is an 8.  Neither player had a heart, regular wins with K/Q.  I would have eliminated both of them who made final table.  In retrospect the correct play for me was reraising preflop to isolate.  I think he respects my game enough to fold, if not, I win on the river anyway.  What would you Do?

The second mistake in a different tournament was basically the same thing, failing to re-raise with a strong hand.  This time a few limpers, button raise, my small blind is A/K.  I flat call, others call, the flop is small, coordinated and suited, big bet, we fold.  Again the best play in my opinion was a preflop shove re-raise.  Do you agree?

It seems like I am playing too passively, probably a result of too much Omaha where pocket aces need to see a cheap flop, and all strong hands can be destroyed on the flop.  Also it is cash vs. Tournament play, where trapping with big hands is a good line.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Nice to see a post!

As to the first hand you wrote about - I would have just called with 88. I would NOT have re-raised to isolate. I don't feel 88 is strong enough to re-raise with. That's just me. I would prefer to see if I flop a set or perhaps get a 7-high flop or straight draw, etc. I don't like re-raising to isolate unless I have a pretty darn big hand, most likely QQ or higher. If there's no set or draw then fold to any bet. Easy peasy.

On the second hand I do believe you should have raised with AK in the small blind. That hand hates me but I would have done it anyway. You don't have good position there so you need to try and get some players out and hope for the best. You just got a crappy flop. I would have folded AK on that flop too.

Pendleton: I'm playing the first Friday tournament on November 2. I want to play the senior event as well, but that will probably be outcome dependent LOL. If I don't see you - good luck!!