Friday, September 28, 2018

Scared Money vs. Toxic Tables

I have written before about crazy poker tables.  Thursday was one of the worst in my history.  I commented shortly after the game began that it might be my quickest re-buy ever, losing most of my rack in 3 hands.  The problem was being seated between 2 maniacs.  The guy on my left was button straddling every opportunity he got (once every 9 hands), and the player to my right was 3 betting it.  Very bad spot.  I did recover due to size of bloated pots and hung in for an hour or so before buying my 2nd rack.  The problem compounded by a 3rd wild man who not only button straddled, but also straddled under the gun every time.  So basically at least 3 straddles per revolution of the button.  The new guy was experiencing one of those days where everything goes right.  He played every hand and either hogged or split most of them.  Seriously.  I tightened up, missing a couple of big pots due to raises and re-raised which is so frustrating.  One huge pot was mine if I made one 3 bet call with my open ended straight draw that hit on the turn.  Probably $80 For the high half, but I folded knowing that it would probably be a split pot and I had no low draw, my hand was 9/9/10/3 on a flop of j/8/4 with 2 clubs. I had spades so there went 2 outs. 

Another bad fold was with a very short stack and top pair flop.  Again, low was there and I folded with virtually no chips only to make 2 pair on river and one pair winning.  This brings me to the real topic, playing with "Scared money".  When you are winning and have a giant stack of chips in front of you it seems much easier to chase.  But, when stuck it is much harder for me to give up chips.  The game really played much bigger than normal and despite it being beatable and really not that big compared to a no limit game, it was out of my comfort zone as a conservative player.  I really should have gone for a table change, there were 2 others going, but somehow pride or something kept me there until I lost my last rack.

No comments: