Monday, November 26, 2018

High Hand Angle Shooting

Most people in the Omaha game are playing for the high hand money every half hour, which explains the quantity of players in a hand and also the quality of hand selection.  I won the first one on Sunday and had a pretty good lock on a second one with quad 10s until the guy next to me flopped quad jacks.  So later in the evening there are quads posted with a few minutes until the next high hand money starts.  I am playing A/K/x/x on an ace high flop.  It is bet and called by several players.  The turn is another ace plus I pick up a flush draw.  Again bet and called in several spots.  The river is a 9, not pairing anything in my hand, but bringing in the flush draw.  The first player to act, who has also been the original bettor fails to act.  He stares at his cards for several seconds.  I ask him if he needs help reading his hand.  He doesn't answer and continues to just sit there.  I get it, he is waiting for the clock to run out as he has filled up.  I call for the floor.  The supervisor comes over and I and other players along with the dealer explain, he then tables his hand showing aces full, even though no one has checked or bet.  Another player mentions she looked at the clock when he started this and saw 35 seconds remaining.  The floor awarded him the pot, but ruled it ineligible for high hand  ( it would have had to hold up for 30 minutes anyway).  I exchanged words with the ex dealer seated next to me who said I had done the same thing.  Don't think so, but would only have done to protect my existing hand, not try to slide into next one.  Also would not delay the game for half a minute.  I later apologized to the player as he spoke with the floor about it away from the table.  Bottom line, it sucked the joy out of the game for me and I cashed out a left.  Not sure if I even want to go back.


My stack earlier in the evening.  Cashed out with $206 on a $200 buy in.  Big whoop.  Up about $140 in picture.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

My whole feeling on high hands or Monte Carlos is: don't play for them. If you happen to hit one - fine. It's ridiculous to play something like 7-3 suited just because you "might" hit a straight flush. Let's get real here. It's a 3-gap hand for crying out loud. I will admit that I used to do that but not anymore. I will say that if I can get into a pot fairly cheap for a royal flush draw I'm hard pressed not to play those hands LOL. But it's a royal flush! C'mon son!