Saturday, September 30, 2017

Reflecting


Reflecting on life this week.  On my last trip to the beach I learned that two acquaintances passed away and a third had a stroke and was in rehab.  Then I learned this week that another friend was slipping into dementia.  Both men who died did so quickly.  One had suffered a heart attack and did not realize it, he passed away in the ambulance leaving the doctor's office.  He had the opportunity to tell his wife that he loved her and did not suffer.  The other went to the doctor because he did not feel well.  He was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, went home to hospice and passed 2 weeks later after the opportunity to say goodbye to family and friends.

This week I visited the friend suffering from alzheimer.  I am afraid for her due to her otherwise good health and relatively young age.  It is a wicked disease and the symptoms frighten me.  I was thinking about the Irish toast quoted above and recognize it's truth.  I am not much of a beer drinker, but the rest sounds damned good to me.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Man, that's awful. Dementia scares the hell out of me too. I think it's the worst way to go, although I guess after a while the person suffering from it doesn't realize it. Still, I knock on wood that it doesn't happen to me. I like the Irish toast. They have some good ones.