Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Min Wage Plus

Sometimes you just have to put your poker playing into perspective.  Since moving to Seattle I have switched from exclusively a tournament player to primarily a cash game player.  I am comfortable with both types of play having "cut my teeth" on low limit cash games for many years.  I still love, love, love omaha hi-low despite the accurate description as "a game designed by sadists and played by masochists".  The Sunday game was a good one for me despite not winning any of the $150/every half hour high hands.  I posted one full house only to knock it off with quad jacks with minutes to go. The very next hand I lost to quad aces.

There was one guy at my table that looked familiar.  Movie star?  Poker pro?  I don't know anyone here so just forgot about it until he mentioned going to the Tri-Cities soon.  I asked if he ever played at the Crazy Moose and he replied yes, often.  His name?  Del.  Now I remember playing with him there.  Small world.

My game was spot on that day.  I made good reads, good calls, good folds and played a smidge tighter than usual.  I was up $240 on my one time $100 buy-in and ready to quit.  Unfortunately I got caught up in a couple of monster pots that I could not find a fold in.  On the last one I hit a full house with my A/6 on a 6/6/A/8 board only to lose to A/A/ in one hand and 2/3 in another.  That hand cost me at least $50.  So, with some family business to attend to I cashed out for $205 (I also paid $15 for lunch out of my chip stack), so figure my 6 hours of play were paying about $20/hr.  Much better than the Seattle minimum wage of $15 and a lot more fun. 

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

You are doing great if you're making $20/hour. I'm perfectly happy if I break even. I was on fire for about 6 weeks but things have cooled down tremendously lately. Still haven't decided about Pendleton. If I do go, it will probably be Sunday.

It is a small world. Was the guy's name perhaps Dale? I know a Dale that I play with at the Moose now and again. Not sure about Del.