Thursday, October 20, 2016

Don't Give Rides To Good Players and Don't Eat Fried Foods and Drink Coffee Late at Night


Image result for image broasted chicken
It could have been worse.  Only in the sense that I could have been knocked out of the game early. Very uncharacteristically of me, I phoned a local friend and asked if he wanted a ride to the Bayway poker Wednesday night game.  I know that he hates to drive at night, so yes, he would love it.

We are seated at different tables and my cards are running so bad.  Lots of blackjack double down hands.  You know the ones, 9/2, 8/3, 7/4.  I chase a flush draw and lose 20% of my stack.  My bad, particularly early.  The other table is knocking out player after player (20 original entrants).  Players from my table are moving over constantly.  Finally I win the lottery ticket and get to move.  Yay!!! My cards do not improve.  At least immediately.  Finally, as a short stack I get them all in against a shorter stack with a king high flush draw.  As I turn my cards over I apologize that "I am on a draw", but when he tables his J/7 of spades (no pair) vs. my K/9 of spades he is in trouble.  I hit a king, not that I needed it, on the river.  Player down.  Now with a few more chips I again get them all in against a shorter stack and knock out another player.  This table really is dangerous, the other table has not lost anyone except the dealer.

I shove several times with premium hands picking up only the blinds and lose a couple of pots with QQ and AQ.  Down to 10 players I am under the gun with AJ off and only 3+ big blinds.  An obvious shove situation so that is what I do.  I am called by the player next to me, who would have been very short had he not made a hero call on a monster bluff a few minutes before with king high.  He has AK and I am out when he hits a king on the turn.  A player on the other table gets knocked out the same time and the final table is set with 8 players.  I would love to drive home now but guess what?  My "good karma" friend who I gave a ride to is one of the chip leaders!!!  They play down to 2 players and the guy who knocked me out refuses to chop, but is eliminated in just 4 hands.  I spend the time visiting with a couple of other players hanging out and watch the staff clean the floors and prepare to close.
Image result for image coffee

Home much later than usual unless I have won the tournament I lie in bed with indigestion and insomnia due to the consumption of fried foods and coffee very late in the evening.  On the positive side I have some leftover broasted chicken to eat for lunch today.

No comments: