Saturday, October 22, 2016

Bad Calls? The Nature of Lucky Players

Here are a couple of examples of what I consider bad calls and the player getting lucky.  Last night at the Legion, I frankly was running very card dead.  Near the break I was down to about 1/2 the starting stack of 2150 (around 1125), with blinds at 60/120 I raised 2 UTG to $250 with A/K. It was folded to the big blind who called.  The flop came down 3/3/2, and when he checked to me I shoved $875.  He called.  I am in shock to see what he called my raise with, 10/2 off suit.  He had a good but not great stack.  He explained that  it was "not that big a raise".  Hmm.  Guess he was feeling lucky as he had over-called a shove and a previous caller earlier with K/10 off and had won the pot with his king (vs. 10/10 and AQ).  So, I was prepared to walk but got a river reprieve when a king hit the board.  Yowza!

So, again running cold after the break, I am down to $900 on the button with blinds at 200/400.  I am dealt A/9 and after the table folds to me I naturally shove.  The short stack small blind folds and the chipped up big blind calls with 7/5 off.  He hits a pair on the flop, 2 pair on the turn, and a flush on the river with his 5 of diamonds.  Unbelievable.  It is true that I was too short stacked to have any fold equity and may have made the same call in his position, but sheesh.

Heading home early, decide to play in America's Card Room $10 freeroll (that is the total prize pool, with 10 spots paid).  Over 3 hours later, still playing and down to the final table.  I am 3rd in chips, running very good when I raise UTG with AQ.  One player calls, who has me outchipped.  The flop comes down K/Q/x and as 1st action I shove.  The other player snap calls with J/J.  Sweet!!! With only 2 outs against me I am looking to double up and be the massive chip leader, also laddering up one step on payouts. The turn is a 10.  Rut Row!  He now has an open ender but I am partially blocking the top with my ace.  Sure enough, the ace comes on the river giving him the runner runner straight and I am out in 8th place.  Un-freaking-believable.  A horrible call pays off big for the villain.

The screenshot below was taken maybe 10/15 minutes before the hand.




1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Great googly moogly. I feel your pain. If someone is going to hit a 2-outer it's usually against me when I have the best of it pre-flop or post-flop. Having said that I'm pleased to announce that I FINALLY took a first place yesterday after having made about 6 final tables in a row without cashing. I had to go all-in 3 times in a row at one point. The adrenaline was flowing! Not a big payout because it's only a $20 tournament ($175 profit) but I'm happy.

Hope your next outing turns out to be more profitable!