Wednesday, June 1, 2016

To Deal or Not to Deal. That is the question.

I had sworn off dealing after an early ugly departure a few weeks ago.  I just wanted to take a break from the dealing grind and see if my playing results improved.  They did.  After cashing in 3 straight tournaments then not cashing in one, decided to get back on the horse.  So, Friday night I volunteered for table 2, my favorite, since it pays pretty good with 40 players and you don't have to stay until the bitter end.  Things did not go well for me there.  After a couple of beats, down to a few hundred in chips.  Managing to shove twice with callers was back up past starting chip stack when my last hand happened.  Ray was running over the table and picking up aggression.  I strongly defended his button raise from the big blind with all my chips and he folded.  Just as suspected, he was raising from chip strength and position.  So, when Robert, very short, shoved with around 600, and Ray re-raised from the button, I called with my 7/7.  The flop came down 8 high and as first action, I went all in.  Ray hesitated slightly (he knows from experience that I would not have called his re-raise without a made hand), but then called me.  Robert revealed a weak ace, Ray 10/10 and I was drawing thin.  His 10's held up and Robert and I were both eliminated.  Given the information on hand, don't see how that could have gone much different.  If I had checked, he definitely would have protected his hand from overcards and I could have folded, but would have been really short again.  Given the pot size, my best option was to bet and hope to see his AK.

There were many bad beats dealt at my table, hey guys, don't shoot the messenger!  Here are some examples:

"nut flush" (ace high), beaten on the river by 7/9 suited on a board of 8/10/J of diamonds.  This straight flush knocked off the high hand (worth $80), which was quad 7's (a bad beat in its own right when the pocket aces flopped a set vs. pocket 7's flopped set on the first hand of the tournament).

Two rivered four flushes to knock off better hands with their lone card of the suit.  Both players who were way ahead were knocked out....This also happened once but the player had enough chips to survive it.

K/4 turned full house (4/4/K/x board) chopped with player holding only a king.  Well, that sucked! He is a tight player who got lucky in the unraised big blind only to chop.

One player ( good friend) complained that I had dealt him 3 bad beats.  He recovered enough to make the final table, so quit your bitchin'.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

If it's any consolation, you played the pocket 7s the same way I would have. They look pretty good on an 8 high board with the way the hand was played.

That's funny about that straight flush because I saw the exact same jack high straight flush in diamonds in the tournament last Thursday at the Cable Bridge. The guy who had it didn't even realize it. He thought all he had was a straight. Newbies - sheesh!

You should stop dealing for awhile I think. It's so much easier to play poker (if it can be said to be easy at all) without the extra distraction of dealing.