Thursday, June 30, 2016

Running Good at Wheeler

Man, was I ever running good last night at Wheeler.  Dealing table 2, chipped up nicely until running into the short stack twice.  The first time, he got it all in with 2/2 in a multi-way pot.  With a K/Q suited I called a small raise from his shove to form a nice sized side pot.  The king high flop moved me all-in with the other players folding.  I took the side pot which was close to the size of the main pot.  A turn king was great except that there was a 2 on the flop.  When I failed to pair anything else, he quadrupled up with his full house.  Still pretty short he raised with only me calling with my old friend K/Q.  A king high flop again, we get all our chips in, and he has AK.  Damn!  He now has a lot of chips, I am now short.

A turn around began with my big blind vs. small blind.  I had 8/9, the small blind shoves after a flop that is 9 high.  I call, fearing 2 random pair or a bigger kicker.  Not a problem as he has 6/9.  The turn is a scare card for me despite improving me, an 8 which now gives him an open-ender.  He misses, and I more than double up and now have a viable stack.

Making the final table with a good stack (around 3-4000), I draw seat 2 between an aggressive cash game player and our resident pro, Ray Zee.  The final table was very good to me, with no bad beats given or taken.  My first double up came against the cash game guy.  He had entered the final table as one of the chip leaders and had played very loose and fast, raising with A/5 then calling a big shove from 8/8, busting him with an ace on the flop.  So, after seeing a couple of other similar hands, when he raised UTG I shoved with J/J.  He called, turning over 5/5 and saying, "I hoped you had AK".  He did not catch his 2 outer and I doubled up big.

My next double up was against Ray.  In the big blind with A/5 of clubs, he limped in UTG with KJ of clubs.  The flop came with a queen high flush draw and I bet maybe 1200 into the pot.  He immediately declared all-in with his worse flush draw.  Barely having him covered, I called (gambling this time) and he said something like, "You probably have me now, but I have a big draw".  When he saw my cards, he decided he was drawing almost dead.  The club came on the turn and he was drawing dead.  Player down. 

Now chip leader at the table, Robert raised big from early position with J/J.  I looked at my A/A and called for the all-in button.  Robert called and saw the bad news.  With my history with him was fully expecting a rivered jack, but was pleasantly surprised to have them hold up.  Now, with 6 players left, I had approximately 80% of all chips in play.  Nice!!!  Two of them went all-in, and were both eliminated by Scott.  Paying 5 places, Bob T. cashed, while the cash game guy went home empty handed.  Scott looked at the chip stacks and suggested that I get 1st, he take 2nd, and with Melvin and Gale sitting with only 2 big blinds each that they chop 3rd and 4th place.  We all agreed and the game was over.  My winnings were $430, less buy in and tip, for a net of $350 plus $27 for dealing table 2.  A great night of poker.  

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I'm glad you were actually having some good luck for a change and you made some good money too. These things don't happen nearly often enough. I haven't been playing much. I made the mistake of trying the Sunday tournament at the Moose and was just so uncomfortable from my damned spleen (or whatever the hell it is) that I'm sure I wasn't concentrating as well as I could have. I will not be able to play again until the problem is solved. Even so I did make the final table. I hadn't played for 3 weeks so just needed to go LOL.