Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Taking Out The Trash




Tuesday morning is trash day for us, and every other week it is also recyling day.  The trucks make horrendous noise very early in the morning as they ply our street.  Sometimes they seem to go back and forth 5 or 6 times.  It is very annoying.  Which brings me to my topic, taking out the trash. Because I was up so early with the garbage trucks I sat down to play a few online sng's.  I prefer to think that when I raise preflop that I am forcing the garbage hands to fold.  You could call it "taking out the trash".  Sometimes (usually) the garbage refuses to be taken out and bad things happen to me.
The first tournament, first hand,  I raised in late position with JJ, a pot sized bet of $110.  With blinds at only 10/20, you could expect garbage hands to fold, but both the small and big blind called as well as at least one limper.  Well, at least I have position.  With a flop of 9/4/3 (remember my story in cash game in Vegas?), the big blind bet out about $300.  I had no problem with the shove and to my dismay he tabled what else but the 9/4 off.  Oh dear, player down.

Next tournament I decide to trap a little by checking my option in the big blind with QQ.  The flop was something like J/5/3, so I bet out a pot size bet.  Called in two places.  The turn is a king.  I don't like it but bet 1/2 pot.  Two callers.  River is another 5, I bet same amount and one caller shoves and the other overshoves.  Hmmm.  Like a donk I call the huge pot.  First caller shows K/10, the winner shows 5/8.

Next up, I raise UTG first hand with AK spades, re-raised by 9/9, shove by AQ clubs.  Everyone calls.  Flop is AQx and we are both eliminated.

Next tournament, short, I shove with 8/8 and called by limping AK, ace on flop.

Next I am heads up with AJ vs. one limper with Q/10.  On a QQx flop we both check.  Ace on turn, I shove he calls, player down.

Common denominators?  Well other than one hand I was best hand preflop.  Some things I learned. Sometimes when you trap you are the one trapped.  Players will not throw away trash preflop even against a raise.  Players will chase flushes, straights, overcards, and small pairs no matter what the bets.  The thing that continues to amaze me is how the one caller has exactly the hand that beats you.



1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Welcome to my world comrade. It's just impossible to get some people to fold no matter what you do. You could go all in pre-flop with AA and get called by some idiot with the 9-4 and well . . . you know. Sometimes poker just sucks.