Sunday, October 13, 2013

Coin Flips, Jabba the Hut & Getting Your Money In Good



I like to think that I usually, and that is a big usually, get my money in good.  For me, that means entering a coin flip situation with the pair, rather than with the over-cards.  On Friday night I was not running too well.  I won one nice pot with a turned aces up.  The person driving the betting reminded me of Jabba the Hutt on Star Wars.  He had a sneer on his face as he kept winning pots with massive bluffs.  He played virtually every hand, usually raising with some real crap...think K/3 offsuit, with which he rivered a straight, naturally using the 3.  He was able to get away from his hand when I bet big on the turn due to two flush draws on the board.  Opportunity missed as I believe he would have donked off more chips to me if I had checked.

Down to 2 tables, and 13 players, I was short stacked with a little more than 5 big blinds when I picked up 8/8 in early position.  Easy shove decision.  The big blind, a shorter stack, called with A/Q.  A queen showed up on the river to put me down to 1-1/2 blinds.  With most of my chips in the pot with the BB, the small blind raised me all-in with A/6 vs. my J/5 suited.  I called.  He hit a six on the flop, an ace on the turn, and rivered another ace for the high hand of the night.  Player down.  I did not get them all in with the best hand, but was only a 60/40 dog.  I watched another short stack shove the hand before with 4/4 and triple up when her callers failed to pair.  This game is unfair at times.

The big bluffing player?  Glad you asked.  He redrew a seat on my table when we broke the third table.  He was one of the first out despite his big stack.  Han Solo would be proud.  

No comments: