Sunday, June 30, 2013

So Close, and Yet So Far

What I hate more than anything is to play for 3 or 4 hours in a tournament and come away with nothing.  Today in the deepstack at the Moose we were down to 4 players.  I was about tied for low stack, having come back from only 3,000 with 2/4,000 blinds, back up to over 20K when this hand came up.  I had been raising the big blind all-in every time it had been folded to me, and he would fold.  Several times, he had an ace, but I had him outkicked, and had doubled up once through him when he called.  Finding A/7 offsuit in the small blind, elected to just raise to 12,000.  He played back at me with K/5 suited by going all in.  I called, thinking this time I get paid off.  The turn brought a 5 and I was out on the bubble.  The big stack wanted no part of any bubble pay so I got nada.  Great.  3rd place paid $430, so the 5 cost me a bunch.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

That's too bad. I really hate when people won't pay back the next spot. I always try to go for a little more though, like $75 or $80 for a $60 tournament. I haven't run into anybody yet who won't do it. I'm playing the 4th of July 10am tournament and that's probably it until the Stark tournament on the 14th. Hope to see you there!