Friday, January 18, 2013

Avoiding Bad Beats

In my infinite wisdom have figured out a way to avoid bad beats.....quit playing poker.  Other than that, not so much.  My friend Bob called me this week to ask about my beats....guess he is just a glutton for punishment.  Truth is, hearing about anyone else's bad beats usually solicits polite listening or mentally making out a grocery shopping list.  Have said before, the more you get the better you are usually playing.  After all, getting aces snapped by A/8 offsuit means you were way way in front and welcome the call.  Right?  There is something to be said by your opponent skillfully laying down a "nut" ace high flush when he correctly perceives that you have the full house, straight flush or quads, but honestly we welcome his call, even if sometimes the river rises up in all its ugliness and SNAPS you!  The raised pot or all-in bet which results in everyone folding is never a bad thing.

Tonight I get to play in the American Legion tournament.  Maybe I will even deal.  I like the small rebate on my buy-in that dealing offers.  Cheap poker is always better than full price poker.  Hoping to not take any bad beats or deliver any (that means I was behind and had to get lucky).  Missed my opportunity last night to win an I-pad cause I "forgot" to sign in.  Actually, wanted to watch American Idol instead (spoiler...the new female judges are highly dysfunctional). 

1 comment:

Phil said...

Well, pretty much avoided bad beats last night. Dealt table 2 and got $25 for my efforts. Finished about 13th or so, last hand was Q/10 vs. K/Q with a flush draw(his). Flopped top pair, a 10, he hit his king on river, but had lots of outs.