Sunday, February 12, 2012

Nightmare Ace/King




Getting knocked out of two tournaments in one day with AK is lots of fun. The first, the $60 buy-in was on the final table. I had taken a bad beat a few hands before on another table and lost about half my chips. Finding AK suited in early position I shoved for 9,000 with 500/1000 blinds. I am called by a young (and dumb) player with lots of chips with his 5/5, then overcalled by John with 10/10. The flop brings the kid's 5 and two spades, the turn a king, and the river a blank. 2 players down.

Second tournament, Steve's, I am seated next to a couple of very inexperienced players (one keeps throwing his big blind away). I lose about 1/2 my chips on various ventures until another player raises to 300 (blinds at $50/100. I have....AK offsuit, so I re-raise to $1000, hoping to take it down right there. No such luck. Another player goes in the tank and finally folds (AK he said), then one of the dumb players shoves with AQ suited. Naturally a queen comes on the turn to knock me out. Plus I win the donkey award for 1st out!!!!

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Quite frankly, A-K is probably my least favorite hand of all time. I believe that most people (myself included) tend to overplay it. I won't even call a raise with it anymore and I sure won't shove with it unless I absolutely have to. I'm sorry you were the donkey again, but I'm happy to say that you have been donkey twice and me only once - hee haw! (I'm sure my time will come now that I've jinxed myself.)