Friday, July 1, 2011

Throwing Away Winners

Playing in the American Legion tournament I found myself short stacked with 1600 in chips and 200/400 blinds.  Another short stack goes all in for 1500 with K/10 and is called in two spots, one with AQ, I see pocket 5's in my small blind and regretfully muck them.  Of course, a 5 is the door card on the flop and AQ makes two pair to win the hand.  Opportunity lost.

The very next hand, on the button, it is folded around to me and I see.....A/5 offsuit.  All-in.  I am called by the big blind with....AK suited.  Good night!  Really poor timing on my part, but still like my decisions.  The 5's were a no brainer and so was the A/5......just bad timing.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I must respectfully disagree that mucking the pocket 5s was a no brainer. You only had 4 big blinds left. You were getting tremendous odds. What the heck were you waiting for? Sometimes you just have to gamble. If you lose - you lose. I do agree with shoving with the A-5 later. But I really think you blew it earlier and the fact that you would have won has nothing to do with my thinking. It was simple math. Am I an idiot? I would have played them. Maybe I am. Hope to see you soon.