Monday, March 28, 2011

Getting Sick of Being Cracked by Weak Aces

Let me begin by saying how much I truly sincerely utterly hate weak aces, and I am including suited weak ones as well. Why you ask? You just never know where you are when the ace flops, and are normally way behind praying for your 3 outer, which may not even be good on an A/J/4 flop. I just prefer not to get my chips in on this sort of guessing game. Even with the suited ace, you are not that much better off. According to my poker calculator, an AJ offsuit is 46.3% to win against A/6 suited (different suit than my cards) at 23.7% to win preflop. This morning in a tournament I got cracked twice with my dominating ace. The first hand I raised preflop with AQ suited and was called by A/8. The flop? Q/8/8. Sick. The next hand I raised with A/K suited and the flop came all spades, and the A/6 suited (spades) got my chips. Anyway, I am pretty sick of these weak draws catching perfect flops and crushing me. I was chip leader in the tournament before these two beats, and ended up being the 2nd player eliminated.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I agree with you 99%. I for one am a big fan of a suited small ace simply for those wonderful flushes. However, it is very unlikely that I would ever call a substantial raise with a suited small ace unless the circumstances (pot size, opponent, my chip stack, their chip stack, etc.) called for it. Other than that, if I did call & didn't hit the flop big time, I could get away from it.

By the way, someone (NOT ME) said that your blog was pretty negative and in looking back a lot of your entries, I would tend to agree. I personally think that your blog helps me a lot and is a great learning tool, but you must have more fun stuff than bad stuff happening, hopefully!!

Take care out there and keeping raising with your big aces, suited or not!