Sunday, December 19, 2010

Final Table + No Chips = 5th Place

One of the regular dealers at the American Legion tournament frequently says to me, "You are always on the final table". And yes, I do make the final table with great frequency, however I am having a very hard time winning it all. Last Friday I was running particularly card dead. One player at my first table just ran over it, playing every hand and winning probably 12 of the first 15 hands. Once he got a lot of chips he raised most pots. I tangled with him once with a flush draw that did not come in and ended up bluffing off 1/3 of my chips on the river in a futile attempt to salvage the hand. Never once during the course of the evening did I have more than twice the starting chips, and got to the final table with about starting chips (2200). The only way I survived was by massive bluffs on scary boards.

An interesting thing happened at the final table. The dealer, Carl, was down to a single $100 chip in the big blind which was $200. He tripled up on that hand with a 9/2 offsuit, then did it again. At the end of the day he was chip leader....a classic "chip and chair" story. Me, I ended up 5th for a $101.00 win ($55. net after buyin and tip).

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

The same thing happens to me a lot too but I usually get knocked out one or two places BEFORE the money - phooey! Sorry I only saw you briefly the last time you were in town. I hope you and your family have a terrific Christmas and a very happy New Year.