Saturday, October 16, 2010

Why I am a crybaby a-hole

I have to admit it. I am a crybaby a-hole when I play games. My wife now hates our "friendly" spite and malice game. Last night at the Legion I whined about someone relatively short stacked calling my reraise with his AQ vs my JJ and catching lucky. My last hand was against a truly clueless player who called my all in with a hand I wouldn't play in the small blind with no raise (A/3 offsuit). The point is that my behavior is indefensible. I whine about my bad luck, my opponents lucky catches, and poor play in general. I am a very poor loser, however someone once said, "show me a good loser and I will show you a loser". My extremely competitive streak is what pushes me in poker, in my old career, in general. Years ago, I played in a flag football league. I was one of the older, slower players on any team. Yet, I played very hard and aggressively against some great players, including one former NFL lineman, several college stars, one future CFL pro, and one future NY Jets pro. One of the players said to me, "Phil, you have the competitive spirit and heart to have played pro football, (that is if you had more athletic talent)".



Anyway, not to excuse bad manners, I just sometimes want to win too much.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Hey, I'm with you on this one. I never really knew how competitive I was until I started playing poker. I was never into athletics or anything except as an observer, but I really get competitive in card games - even the fun family card games during holidays. I'm a whiner too. Don't feel alone!!