Saturday, April 17, 2010

Unbelievable

I had a very bad feeling when I got my table draw on Friday night. The dealer was Clydene, who I have had problems with before on my right and a guy who has won many tournaments on my left. He is a noted ATC luckbox just so you know. Early on I played 4/5 suited in the blind. He limped UTG with 6/7 offsuit. The flop? 6/6/7 giving me the open ender to draw dead to. I bet small twice, missing thankfully, then when a 5 came on the river I check called his 200 bet. Oh well, it could have been much more painful.

The painful hand came later when I looked down at pocket kings in the small blind with about 5 limpers at $80 BB. I raised to $340 and everyone folded except ATC in the BB. The flop was 8/9/J rainbow. I bet $600 into the 880 pot and he reraised all-in. I thought for just a second (not long enough) and called. He turns over Q/10 offsuit for a flopped straight. I am the first one out of the tournament. What I should have done is take time to run through the hands he may have called with preflop: 88, 99, 1010,JJ, AA, QQ, AK, AQ, AJ. I really cannot imagine anyone calling a big out of position raise with Q/10 here, but I should have given him credit for flopping a set. Of those hands, I think the most likely shove would be 10/10 with the one overcard and open ended straight draw. Any flopped set, you let the other guy bet it for you. Aces probably shoves, and queens too as they would be afraid of straight cards coming. Anyway, an unhappy ending for my quest for Vegas cash. Leaving Tuesday morning and planning on playing mostly tournaments.

2 comments:

7 Dewey said...

Have fun in Lost Wages! Roland knocked me out of the Sunday morning tournament. He RAISED in middle position with 8-7 diamonds and my mistake was not reraising with pocket 9s on the button to see where I was. The flop was 10-4-9 and I checked my flopped straight which was my 2nd mistake but I just couldn't put him on the type of hand he had. I pushed on the turn, which was STUPID because it was a 6 and it gave him his straight and I was gone. Phooey. Anyway, hope you have fun and win some tournaments down there.

7 Dewey said...

I meant flopped SET but I'm sure you figured that out - oops!