Friday, October 23, 2009

It Continues

I have played in at least 8 tournaments today and the best I have done is 11th place in a 100 person omaha tournament. My stay at the American Legion tonight was about 45 minutes. I won one hand with a semi bluff, small pot. I then lost half my chips with A/10 to a flush chaser with 2nd pair (king} (I turned the ace), and he rivered the flush. My last hand? Pocket 9's in the big blind calling a preflop raise with one other caller. Flop came ragged jack high with two spades and I pushed my last 1000 chips. A very poor player called my all in, so I immediately put her on AJ or KJ. When the original raiser came over the top I put him on queens, kings, or aces. The other caller put all of her chips in. When we turned over our cards I saw the AJ as suspected, and pocket kings, with the king of spades. Another spade on the turn left me drawing to one out which did not come.

In rethinking the hand, my initial thought was that the original raiser probably had a range that could have included any pair (cutoff position) or two face cards, king queen or bigger. The odds are better that it was AK or AQ, and with "only" 5 pairs ahead of my hand, I leaned to two big cards. With the other limp/caller in the mix I probably should have check/folded, but really thought my hand was too strong to play it that way. If I had reraised the original raiser, we probably would have ended all-in heads up which would have had the same ending, but saved the other player some chips. The pot size was about my whole stack, so I was probably stuck in any case. I guess that I was just destined to go out on that hand as I would have check/raised any continuation bet unless the AJ got real aggressive and the raiser went all-in behind them.

On an earlier hand, the dealer in the game got very lucky with AQ vs. 77 on a Q7X flop. They ended up all in after the flop, then an ace came on the turn, and of course the river brought another ace. Double ouch!! I really do not like that dealer as I have seen him sneaking a peek at players' mucked hands as he gathers them to shuffle. I mentioned it to another player and he verified that he had seen him do it as well. I was prepared to call him on it tonight, but didn't see him do it.

I keep thinking that I am either playing very poorly or just running unlucky or a combination of the two. I have to rethink my tournament strategies as whatever it is, it is just not working for me.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Hmmmmmmm! Maybe you shouldn't go to Wildhorse - ha! I wish you HUGE luck if you do go. I'm still not sure if I will or not. My qualifying tournment was sucky. I hit no hands, had terrible timing and was done in 2 hours. Icky! I did run right over to the Cable and take 3rd in the charity event. Got free yummy lasagna lunch and my prize was a digital camera and digital picture frame. Good deal! Hope to see you someday!