Thursday, October 22, 2009

Bad Beat Magnet

O.K., this is starting to sound like whining, but here goes again. I am playing in a daily cash tournament on spadeclub. With 600 or so original players, we are down to 60, with 18 places paid. I have under average chip stack with 400/800 blinds and an ante, i look down at pocket 10's, with one limper, the play is routine, I shove. The limper who has me covered, but is not super stacked, calls me with....Q10 suited. I am happy to see his 3 outer, specially when no straight draws flop, and no flush draw. The river of course brings the queen.

Another online tournament, another loss...this time AK suited, with a small raise early in the tournament. The big blind gets frisky and goes over the top all-in with pocket 4's. Great flop 10/j/j with one of my suit, giving me....are you counting kids?....10 outs plus backdoor flush possibilities. Airball!!!

Big freeroll on Ultimate Bet....one limper, I have pocket jacks. I raise pot, short stack calls, small blind raises, big blind reraises, limper calls, I reraise all in, everyone goes all in. With 5 all in it is necessary to get super lucky...not my forte. The hands are: small blind, A/8, big blind (also most chips) A/A, limper, 9/10, and short stack K/J. With a flop of two kings, the short stack gets new life and the other two players are knocked out, along with me, by the aces. Dumb all in by me, but I was trying to isolate and work on the side pot. A worse call was the A/8 as he had second most chips at the table and what the heck was 9/10 thinking?

Last tale of woe (hopefully) (today), I am in a 45 person SNG and we are down to 10 players. I have fallen below average chip stack and have played super tight the entire game, folding blinds almost every hand. I pick up K/9 offsuit on the button and decide to raise. The big blind, who has me covered x2, reraises enough to put me all in, or at least pot committed if I call. One thing that does not work for me is playing final tables short stacked, so I decide to call, hoping for two live cards and no big pairs. He has AK, and I am out on the final table bubble. Not a bad beat, but a bad timing story.

My tournament play has been good enough to get me deep into tournaments, but I find myself either taking bad beats or just going card dead.

No comments: