Monday, October 12, 2009

Final Table Angst

Life is tough for online players today. With the UIGEA in effect it is getting more and more difficult to transfer money into poker accounts. I was notified this week that my small independent bank will no longer take debit transfers beginning in December. Because of that, I have to begin playing tighter, and in lower limit games as I may not be able to replace any money that I lose. Well, anyway, on to my final table story.

I was playing in a 45 person SNG and had gotten lucky early to move into 1st place. I was no lower than 3rd place at any time, and by the final table was solidly in 2nd with around 10,000 in chips with the chip leader at 22,000. The next biggest stack was around 7,000. The tournament paid 5 places, so I was pretty locked in to cash at this point. I picked up AK offsuit in middle position with one limper before me. Blinds were 200/400 with a 25 ante, so I made it 2200. The giant stack was on the button and he reraised enough to put me all in!!! I thought for a moment and made the call. My reasoning was this: There was 3500 in the pot before his raise, and with his money 10,000 plus 3500 made it a 13,500 pot which I could call for 7500 giving me 2/1 on my money. I did not think that I was probably any worse that a coin flip against his range (any pair, plus AK, AQ). Guess that I should have just gone with the philosophy of "live to fight another day" as I still would have been in very good shape by folding. (cardinal rule: the two big stacks should not fight each other). His hand? Pocket aces. 9th place finish.

As we speak, I am in another online tournament and have just busted out. Small raise in late position, I call with 6/5 suited. We take the flop 3 handed and it is 789 with two clubs (I have diamonds). Check, bet big, I reraise all-in, both players call. One player has a 10 for the open ender, the other pocket jacks for the overpair plus gutshot. They are playing for a combined 9 outs ( 4-6's, 3-10's, and 2-jacks). The three outer 10 falls on the river giving the jacks the win. Sick!

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Yes, you should have folded the A-K but you are not alone on that one. I tend to overplay that sucker way more than I should. Last night I went out on the very first hand (I had pocket queens) and that hasn't happened in a very long time. I feel your pain!! :)