Friday, August 28, 2009

Double Donkey Play

Situation: Moose $25 tournament, 22 players. Big Blind, early (50/100 blinds), i have about 1700. Everyone folds to small blind, an excellent player, who completes. I have Q/10 offsuit and check my option (1st donkey mistake, small blind showed weakness by limping, should have raised then). Flop is 10/6/2 with 2 diamonds. Small blind bets 200, I raise to 600 (about 1/3 of my chips). Pot is now 1000 and I have maybe 1100 behind. Small blind reraises me all-in (he has me covered). I pause briefly....and call. This would have been an excellent spot to lay any pair down including kings. The small blind could have the following hands:

10/10, JJ, QQ, KK, AA, A10, 10K, 10J, 66, 22, 10/2, 10/6, 6/2 or two diamonds with the 10 of diamonds. These are all hands I am way behind with.

Turns out he had limped with 10/2 offsuit. I had outs, but by raising for information (or what I believed to be the best hand) and ignoring the information he gave me I got knocked out. This was an ultimate donkey play...first by not raising preflop with a strong hand in position, then by calling with a hand that is probably beaten.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Phil, I was the Donkey on your left at the 4-8 table later that same day.

Enjoyed the game, Started to say it got better after you left...LOL

Actually, had a decent comeback and got almost back to even...

I hope to play a few hours there again this Friday evening.

7 Dewey said...

Oh, good grief. Sounds like something I would do too so don't feel bad about it. I can't believe an "excellent" player would even limp in with 10-2 offsuit even if they are half invested already. I certainly wouldn't.