Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Punishment

  • At the legion tournament I was seated with a very arrogant, very lucky player. I had never played with him before and he just had this cocky air about him that I just did not like. He bumped into Ross twice early on, a pretty solid player who has won a zillion times in our weekly tournament. The first one Ross raised with pocket queens, this guy reraises big and Ross goes into the tank and asks if he will show if he folds. The guy agrees, Ross folds his queens face up and this guy shows...pocket jacks! I would never in a million years have folded the queens, but hey that's me. A hand or two later they both end up on the river with a king high straight on the board, Ross having two pair. The guy bets into him and Ross lays it down in fear of an ace...which the guy doesn't show while very arrogantly making some comment about having to pay to see it.
  • Later "the guy" knocks out a player who flopped two pair with his AQ vs his AK, but the turn....a king!
  • He then knocks the dealer out with his AJ when he rivers a straight over the dealer's two pair, king queen with his gutshot on the river.

Anyway, you get the drift. I was happy to move to another table, but he drew the seat two to my left when we consolidated to three tables. On my big blind, he and the under the gun limped in and I had K/4 spades. I checked my option and the flop came king high with one spade. I bet 3 times the big blind, the UTG called and he reraised me 3 times my bet. Really, without thinking much I reraised all in, trying to isolate him. My first thought was that he might have a small pair and was trying to get weak kings to fold. He held KQ offsuit and I was drawing thin. The turn brought another spade, tripling my outs, but his hand held up. It appears that he can catch 3 and 4 outers all day, but 11 outers fail me.

In retrospect, dumb play, but I think that the big part of my problem was wanting to punish the luckbox and not just playing smart.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

That's exactly the same thing I was thinking about with my K-3 clubs. You already commented on it so that's why I read your post. Great minds must think alike, eh? Ha! :)