Thursday, September 3, 2009

A-Hole Danger

Well, I have been sitting myself down and giving myself a good talking to. I feel that I am starting to cross the line to become a complete ass. An example was last night at the Omaha tournament. There is a couple who plays together and I have a very low opinion of the lady's skills, but also recognize her incredible luck factor. Those two things combined make me likely to go on tilt when she beats me. I was in a pot (4 way) with her all-in for a little more than the big blind (300 main pot, 1500 or so side pot). I had raised pre-flop with a strong hand, but missed the flop and turn....we all had checked to the river....when her guy went all-in with possible straight or trips, or full house with a paired board. The other player and I folded, she showed two cards, one giving her trips, and he threw his hand into the muck without showing. I then called for the floor, since the rule is that when two players are all-in, both hands are to be tabled. Troy warned the two that they must both show cards in the future.

In telling this to other dealers and supervisors, they agreed that it was improper, since it really smacked of collusion, and that their warning would have been more severe, as in, "you do that again and you will not be playing here". I spoke briefly with the guy involved and he really was unrepentant, as if I had accused him of cheating, which I guess that I was. Where the a-hole part comes in is that she basically still had no chips, so I could have just let it slide, but because of my dislike of her playing (not her), I had chosen to make a nasty issue of it. In the future, just like calling all-ins I need to take a moment to think through what I am saying or doing and run it through a filter of "is this necessary".

On a brighter spot, I did win the tournament (chop 1st & 2nd), also hit a king high straight flush at the Moose for $200 Monte Carlo (flopped open ender with my 10/J diamonds...ace would have given me the royal for $2500) .

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Oh, boy. If you are talking about the couple I think you're talking about, I am really not too surprised that he did not show his cards. I do not think you did anything wrong and I personally probably would have done the same thing. I've run into what I think of as "collusion" before and I am very watchful for it. Not fun. Congrats on the straight flush :)