Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Can't Understand Some Players

So, here is the scenario. I am playing in an online World Series Qualifier, top two win a seat in a $1500 WSOP event, plus $1000 cash. I find myself in late position (button?) with lots of limpers and me with pocket aces. I don't want a whole lot of competition as it would be a huge mistake to just limp, so I make a pot size raise to thin the field. I get two callers, one with J/10 os, the other with J/9 os. Great! The flop is good for me with a Q/K/K, giving the J/10 what he thinks is an open-ended straight draw, and the J/9 a gutshot straight draw. In truth, the J/10 only has three outs, since the other guy has a 9, and the gutshot likewise has only 3 outs since the other villain has a 10. The ace is obviously no good to them since that fills me up. I bet about 60% of pot size, to try to judge the opposing hands, thinking I might fold if one of them comes over the top with their KQ. I get two callers. The turn is a blank, and I go all-in. They both insta-call for nearly all their chips (they both had me barely covered) on their weak draws. The river....a 9 for the completed straight for J/10 and I am gone. I think that I played this hand pretty well, could have moved all-in on the flop, but am busted for sure if a king is in play. I just think this was super donkey play on both their parts as the betting pattern had to put me on a big pair, aces, kings, or queens or at the least AK or KQ which would have put them both far, far behind. I think there are situations where you have to put all or most of your chips in on a draw, but this was fairly early so I don't really understand their play.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might as well have written this post in Greek as far as your non poker person's comprehension.
That's okay, you are writing for a different audience...Love, Amy

7 Dewey said...

Good grief! I'm really sorry you have to put up with such crummy players. If you are ever up against me in the same situation, please know that I have enough sense to fold a straight draw (even my beloved gutshot) when the board is paired. I feel your pain.