Thursday, October 31, 2019

Sometimes you should hold your nose and pay them off

After a great winning session on Sunday, hitting three high hands in a row (quad 8's, quad 10's, aces full), worth $150 each, I played Tuesday and frankly played horrible.  Getting there late was on the 2nd table and it was pretty miserable.  A gambler raised and straddled every pot, creating some big ones, but couldn't win many.  I kind of pride myself on good big laydowns as when I flopped quads and folded (correctly) on the river.  That, unfortunately came back to bite me when a similar situation happened.  It was in a big preflop pot playing K/K.  Flop came down J/4/K with 2 clubs.  It was bet and called in several spots.  Turn was another 4.  With the nut full house, when it was bet, I raised, and 2 people called, including my quad nemesis, 90 year old Dick.  The river was another 4.  First action checked, i checked, Dick bet, 1st player called, I folded saying, "did it to me again, Dick" .  He surprisingly turns over 10/10 for 4's full of 10's.  The other player turns over A/A for the win with the bigger underfull.  If that wasn't bad enough, my hand would have taken the $100 high hand as well.

So, by folding on the river in a big pot, I leave myself vulnerable to bluffs as well as donk bets.  Failing to pay $8 cost me over $200.  Sometimes you just have to make a bad call.  I could cite other poorly played hands but overall a $100 loss and lesson learned.

The poker room closes forever today at Tulalip.  I will miss it but expect to run into a few of the other players at various locations.   One of the guys wants to open a poker room up North but even if it happens not sure I would want to play there.  

No comments: