Monday, September 16, 2019

No Love

Continuing my tournament cold streak today was seated at a particularly bad table.  Small turnout, around 30 players with 3 empty seats on my table.  I was dismayed to see a late arrival of a guy who I particularly dislike.  He is a very good tournament player who has won the Wildhorse main event fairly recently, maybe 2018.  He knocked me out of a tournament last year after I failed to call his big bluff (which he showed), losing a bunch of chips, but then losing the rest of them to a real hand.  Also played omaha8 tournament and cash games where be is unpredictable, aggressive.  Two other aggressive young guns were seated to my left, and another to my right.  Yikes.  If I limped small blind, they raised , if I raised in position on button or cutoff, they called then bet big after the flop.  I was definitely between a rock and a hard place and relieved when I got sent to another table with a short stack.  The other table was better, and I got it in bad with A/K suited and called by a shorter stack with K/K.  It is true that they are ace magnets as I hit one to almost double up.  Down to 11 players on the final table bubble I shoved 4 big blinds with K/6 suited on the button.  Called from big blind by A/9 off, I hit a king on the flop.  However an ace on the turn sent me home empty handed.

Lesson learned? I dunno,  maybe I need to be either more or less patient.  In a turbo, there is little reward for waiting and more benefit from aggression.  Also I need to listen to my gut sometimes as I folded 2 hands that I wanted to play hard but folded.  Would have tripled up on both.  Sometimes that instinct is vital.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Doyle Brunson once said that he knows all the odds and he understands a lot about the game (obviously) but he goes with his gut most of the time. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me. Maybe you should try it a little more. Sorry you're not doing great in tournaments. I hope it improves soon.