Saturday, July 6, 2019

WSOP Update

Some of you may have been wondering why it has been almost a month since my last post, or perhaps not....The reason is that I was so incredibly bummed out in Vegas that I could not write about it.  Enough time has passed now (time heals all wounds) that can now attempt it.  So, after busting out of the senior event, my next game was on Friday.  The day started well with a good run on the 1/3 no limit cash game at the Mirage,  making enough ($200) to enter the deepstack at The Golden Nugget with Seattle buddy, Jim W.  We were seated next to each other for a couple of hours and I was fortunate enough to accumulate a pretty good stack before our table broke.  My draw was horrible as there were 2 giant stacks, probably tournament chip leaders at my new one.  They were very aggressive so had to lay low most of the time as my cards were running fairly bad.  I finally picked up J/J and shoved.  All folded except one player with fewer chips, calling off with A/Q.  He rivered a queen to make me desperately short.  I went all in shortly afterward with 7/8 suited and was out in around 120th place out of 560 entries.  They were paying about 65 spots.

Next day, my last in Vegas, signed up for the 11 a.m. $120 buy in at Mirage.  It had a strange structure for a deepstack, with blinds starting at 100/200.  I ran very very good, quickly becoming one of the chip leaders.  I was moved to another table when we were down to 18 (76 or so entries) and ran into trouble early, losing a bunch of chips but recovered them plus a few.  We formed the final table with me as chip leader.  They were paying 7 spots with likelihood of bubble payout so it would have been easy to coast.  Because of the aggressive blind structure a chop was likely.  So, with 8 remaining I (again) pick up J/J.  The blinds and antes were average stacks and in late position I shoved.  The button, with fewer chips, but a very workable stack called with ......are you ready for this?.......A/Q.  Exactly the same matchup as the Nugget tournament.  Again, I lose the coin flip when he flops an ace, and I am now the short stack!!!  To add insult to injury, he quotes the odds as 55/45.  Thanks genius, you willingly took the worst odds?  I wanted to stand up and smack him as much as I have ever wanted to hit anyone at the poker table.  So, I limp in a few hands later with J/10 suited.  Same guy raises to put me all in and another player calls with 8/9.  He hits a 9 on the flop, shoves and I am unable to find my overcards and now out in 9th place.  I have not left the area when they start talking about paying the bubble.  I join a cash game and a few minutes later hear them high fiving as they chop for $1000 each.  Cash game (3/6 limit) is crap,  I lose with K/K to 6/8 and leave stuck some more.

So, that dear readers is why I was totally bummed in Vegas.  Could not wait to leave (at airport 3 hours early) and didn't play poker again for almost 2 weeks after returning.     

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I for one checked about every other day to see if you wrote anything and was starting to get slightly worried. I'm sorry you had such terrible luck, but I'm glad to see that you are still alive. We lost one of my favorite players over the 4th of July weekend - Armando Garcia "Mando" from Hermiston - so I'm a tad bummed and worried about all my poker friends now. I don't know if you remember him or not but he was a super nice guy and so much fun to play with. I was not the only one lately who'd been telling him to get a checkup because he'd been coughing a lot. He tried to tell us it was allergies but apparently not. I came to find out that just a few hours after I last played with him he collapsed at the table, was hauled out in an ambulance, taken to Sacred Heart and put on life support. Brain aneurysm. They pulled the plug yesterday. So sad. I'm just seriously glad you finally posted. Sometimes a little break does wonders.