Thursday, February 7, 2019

Does no one pay attention to table image?

Playing extremely tight in the morning tournament, I had not played a hand past the flop, and had voluntarily entered only 2 in late position 40 minutes into the game.  Like I said, squeaky, nitty tight.  So, with A/10 suited, I raised to 500 under the gun, 2.5 x 200 big blind,  expecting only late position callers if any.  So, the 1 UTG player calls and an extremely lucky player in middle position (He won the first 5 hands dealt with crap), also called.  The flop came J/9/K, 2 of my diamonds.  So, with a gunshot plus flush draw, I bet 700 into the 1800 pot.  I had committed about 1/3 of my chips.  The UTG plus 1 raised to 1400.  The other player called.  This made the pot 5300 giving me great odds to call for another 700.  The turn card was a brick, I checked and 1 UTG shoved and was called by Mr. Lucky.   I had about 1800 in chips remaining and briefly considered folding, but the pot was so huge and getting pretty short with a fold, decided to call for all my chips.  UTG turns over Q/J and lucky Q/9, i can win with an ace, a queen or a diamond.  The river pairs the 9 and worst hand wins, knocking both of us out.  In retrospect my raise UTG was pretty bad, but the callers' ranges were worse.  I always try to watch who is tight and offer some respect. 

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I'm working very hard on paying more attention to people. It's too late for me because most of the people I play with know that (for example) I will raise under the gun with 45 suited and I will do the same with 72 off suit or AA.

Stay safe out there!! Don't go anywhere if you don't need to.