Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Lucky

Playing the morning $40 tournament was running very good, at one time sitting with 10% of chips in play (52 entries, 4000 starting stack.  I got there by getting lucky.  While I had a very decent stack, maybe 12000, I pick up A/Q in hijack position.  I raise to 6000 to thin a limper, I think blinds were 1000/2000.  The big blind shoves a big stack.  Is he calling bs on my raise?  I think only briefly before calling, expecting a small pair or weaker ace.  Nope.  A/K.  Gulp.  I get lucky on flop with a queen but drama is not over as a 10 also hits.  No jack, no jack, no jack.  Another queen comes.  No jack!!!!  River is another 10 and I double up!!!   Yay for me.

Luck continues on final table as 3 players knocked out first 3 hands dealt.  I double up with kings vs. queens and another player leaves.  The biggest stack donks off half his chips calling a big raise from queens with his A/8 suited,  then calling the jack high flop shove with his single overcard.  Later, I am in big blind with A/J suited when he limps from small blind.  I shove 20k, about half his stack and he goes into the tank.  Finally he calls with 8/9 off.  Sadly, he hits an 8 and I finish in 5th place for $145.  All in all I felt pretty good about my game.  If I he played less aggressively or had an unluckier opponent would have bumped up at least one pay grade, worth $50.  Once in the money I like to go for the gold with a workable stack, first was almost $600.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Luck is always fun especially when it happens over and over. I'm glad you cashed. I haven't had much luck lately and think I will just stick to a couple tournaments here and there in preparation for Pendleton. I'm playing the first two tournaments down there. Staying at the Red Lion this time because Wildhorse is tearing down the old courtyard building and putting up another tower. They must be doing really well. Red Lion has a poker player rate (if you mention Wildhorse) of $85/night. Not too bad.