Sunday, June 17, 2018

Suicide is (not) painless

One of my all time favorite movies is "MASH".  As you know, it is very anti-war and anti-military set during the Korean war.  It shows the absurdity of the whole thing without being a war movie per se.  The staff dentist has fallen into depression and the doctors arrange a suicide ceremony for him at his request.  The song, "Suicide is Painless" is sung .

 https.//genius.com/Suicide-is-painless-mash-theme-song-lyrics

The attempt has a "happy ending" with the dentist being given a reason to live by a nurse.  Sadly, this is not the case for many.  Which brings me to Thursday poker.  The tournament manager, Paul, was very down and as a friend we started talking.  He explained that he was very busy helping Sheri, my favorite dealer, with her problems.  He told me that her son had committed suicide last Saturday.  He was a great kid with a lot going for him (see link).

Www.gofundme.com/fly-high-11-for-sayon

I decided to donate any winnings that day to his fund.  Paul told me that all the funeral parlors demand up front payment and they could not afford to bury him.  Too sad.  I had a great day in Omaha, hitting the 1st high hand of the day.  I gave the cash to Paul with a short note.  I then won the 3rd high hand and cashed out for an additional win of $156.  My intention to donate all my winnings wavered and mentally decided $100 was enough.  The next day, playing in a cash game lost my $100 buy in and did a short buy for $15 since the morning tournament was starting soon.  I lost it all on a bad beat.  Pocket 5's heads up with original raiser's A/10.   Flop was A/5/6.  Great all in!  Turn 6 filled me up!!!!  River A awarded the pot to my opponent.  Had some choice comments which earned me a dealer warning and left the game.  The tournament was bad for me, losing my 5 blind KQ shove to big blind QQ.  The tournament buy in?  $40.  So, my total loss was $155. Is the universe trying to tell me something? Yes, so arriving home I sent $156 to the go fund me account.  Am hoping this squares things away in the karma department.

Back to the painless thing.  The pain is not upon the suicide but is on those who love them.  The ultimate selfish act sometimes causes real injury to others.  Pain is not eliminated, merely transferred.  Like the thermodynamics physics law that matter cannot be created or destroyed, just change forms.

No comments: